There’s nothing like a good leg and glute workout to start the day off right. I really get a sweat on and I feel like my two lower body sessions are my most efficient workouts of the week (not that I want to make my bum any bigger).
I often find myself following the same legs and glutes workout routine (yes, I’m a creature of habit), that combines all my favourite leg and bum toning exercises.
My Legs and Glutes Workout Routine
I’ve posted a few videos of the below exercises on my Instagram!
The glutes need to wake up first if you want the workout to be truly effective. I always pick 3 glute activation exercises that I do with a resistance band just above my knees. I bought my set of bands on Amazon for less than £7 and they’re doing the job.
I usually do banded squats (15 reps), crab walk (1 minute) and glute kickbacks (20 each side). There are plenty of glute activation ideas here.
2. Barbells and Free Weights
- Squats: I usually keep my band for the first “warm up set”. Then I add some weight for each set but I’ve been focusing on increasing reps so I only go up to 50kg. I start with 20 pause or pulsing squats with the band (weight: 30kg) then I do 20 reps with 40kg and 2×15 reps with 50kg.
- Bulgarian Split Squats: 10 reps per leg, 3 sets with a 12kg dumbbell in each hand. I make sure to go as low as possible and I adjust my posture to feel the burn in the glutes and not so much in the quads.
- Curtsy Lunges: 20 reps (10 each side), 3 sets with a 10kg plate. This simple exercise works your glutes more than it seems.
- Deadlifts: 3 sets of 10 reps with a 40kg barbell. I like to keep my toes elevated with small plates. This way, I really feel the burn in my hamstrings.
4. Leg Machines
I only use two machines for my leg and glute workout, but before, I grab my band again and I do some more glute activation exercises.
- Leg press: I keep the band for the first set (39kg) and then I increase the weights for 2 or 3 more sets. Just like squats, I prefer high reps over heavy weights. My current maximum weight for this exercise is 52kg but I’m trying to increase the weight slightly, session after session. It took me a while to figure out how to position my feet in order to feel the burn in my glutes and not my quads. Putting my feet high up on and not spreading my legs too much is what works best for me.
- Hip Adductor machine: 3 sets of 15 reps to target inner thighs. I don’t go really heavy on that one: just 25kg.
5. Leg and Glute Workout Finisher
At this stage, I’m nearly done. This is the last part of my legs and glutes workout routine.
- Bridges with a Bosu ball: single leg bridges (10 each leg, 3 sets) and frog bridges (3 sets of 10 reps). To be honest, they are slightly weird exercises and I’m glad the gym is not crowded in the morning when I do them. But they are super efficient especially if you really squeeze the glutes and core.
- Stairmaster: I only do 10 minutes when I train legs and glutes. I start with kickbacks for 3 minutes, then I walk sideways for 90sec each side and I finish with 4 minutes of really fast walk.